Euskalkazeta news updates “Basque News”. Visit Euskalkazeta website here or see the feed summary below.
- Basque Country Resident Cycles around the World on Goodwill TripGwenaël Breton, a military veteran of the French Special Forces and resident of the Basque Country, is on a grueling trek across the United States with his son on bicycle. It’s part of a tour he is making around the world via cycling and rowing to promote a message of… Read more »
- New Basque Mural in Reno, NevadaA new mural in the city of Reno honors the Basque presence in Northern Nevada. It was created by artist Leire Urbeltz and Jaione Inda, two women from the Basque Country who received a grant for the project from the government of the Basque province of Nafarroa, Spain. The mural,… Read more »
- Women Highlighted at Basque Cultural Day 2023The power of women — in particular Basque women — was evident Oct. 21 at Basque Cultural Day in South San Francisco. The event, sponsored by the Basque Educational Organization, brought together women from several generations and the audience that came to hear them speak was enchanted. Patty Miller, former… Read more »
- Basque Women to be Honored at Cultural Day in SFThe contribution of Basque women to the advancement of the Basque immigrant community in the U.S. will be celebrated on Saturday, Oct. 21 at Basque Cultural Day in South San Francisco. Basque Cultural Day, which is organized every two years by the Basque Educational Organization (BEO), will take place at… Read more »
- U.S. Basque Food Road Trip: Los Angeles to BoiseMy family and I have driven from Los Angeles to Boise, Idaho several times over the years, mostly for the big Basque festival Jaialdi that takes place in Boise, Idaho every five years. The last time we made the trip, in summer 2022, my husband and I were heading to… Read more »
- 5 Best Pintxo Spots in San SebastianMy husband and I just spent a month in Donostia (San Sebastián), within walking distance of the Alde Zaharra neighborhood (the Old Town or Parte Vieja). Where do you think we went for dinner just about every night? Yup, you got it. To the pintxo bars of Alde Zaharra. Not… Read more »
- Basque American Teens Participate in Exchange Program in Basque CountryIn June, 37 Basque American youth traveled to the Basque Country to participate in a new exchange program that some of them called “life-changing.” Ateak Ireki, which means Open Doors, was a three-week program that placed the students from all over the U.S. in homes of families who speak the… Read more »
- Teens to Spend Month Speaking Euskara and Hiking the Basque CountryA month of speaking Euskara full-time. That’s what 125 young people heading off July 1 on the EuskarAbentura Espedizioa can expect. Plus, they will cover a large part of the Basque Country, mostly on foot. This is the fourth year of this unique program that will traverse the seven historic… Read more »
- Theater Director Visits Bakersfield for FellowshipOlatz Gorrotxategi, a playwright, director, performer, and drama teacher in the Basque Country, was selected for the Frank Bidart Fellowship at Cal State Bakersfield. Gorrotxategi recently completed the fellowship of one month. Her subject of investigation was the Basque diaspora of Bakersfield, Calif. Steve Gamboa, one of the directors of… Read more »
- 4 of Top 100 Restaurants in the World are BasqueThe four Basque restaurants that made it on the 2022 list of the top 100 restaurants in the world continue to maintain their appearance on the list for 2023. Asador Etxebarri, in the small town of Atxondo near Bilbao, kept its spot as the best Basque restaurant in the world,… Read more »
Daily Live is updated with the latest news
from Euskalkazeta find out how to keep this page updated.